Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Am I really in Korea?


I am in Korea. No really. I am LIVING in Korea for a semester. This minor detail did not really start to register in my brain until… today. People who have studied abroad in the past have told me that this realization process slowly sinks in as time elapses. So according to this theory, I am right on track. Some friends from my program and I were skirting through the streets of Sinchon bouncing-off-the-wall-and-heated-floors thrilled (somehow excited does not quite cut it) to take in the bittersweet smell, taste, unraveling hints of freedom. Apparently this is what a weeklong orientation session does to a college student (or maybe it’s just me). Although I was a completely captivated as the “master” of ceramics created pot, bowl, pitcher… (you name it) at one of three folk villages we visited. We attempted to follow his skillful example as we sculpted our own piece of pottery. And we were able to take advantage of the heated floors as we ate dinner on a low table with seat cushions. Being the Korean-food-loving nut that I am, I have no complaints about the food. J During the weekend in Kyeong Joo, we also watched a traditional mask dance, Korean seesaw and drum performances.


When I was growing up, my family and I made our own Korean seesaw with wooden boards from Menards and by “borrowing” sandbags from the street corners. I am assuming that the construction workers didn’t lose too much sleep over the mysterious disappearance of their sacks of sand. I wish I could concoct a more high-tech version of the seesaw, similar to the one at the folk village, so when I return to the states… here is yet another thing to add to my to-do list.

The most interesting place we visited was the DMZ (demilitarized zone between North and South Korea). With our hardhats and leg muscles, our group walked through one of the four tunnels that was discovered between the seventies and nineties by South Korea, which offered proof that North Korea may have been planning an attack on the south yet again.

By last night I was exhausted and eager to be released from released from orientation. Jumping into my bed in Casa Ville (hotel/apartment) never sounded more appealing. My roommate, Kelly and I crashed hard into the beds, which are literally an inch away from one another.

Today was my first day of classes, but before walking to the Yonsei campus, I went to Eastern Social Welfare Society (ESWS) to find an open volunteer time at the adoption agency. I had visited the agency on my previous trip to Seoul, so once I located the building the interior looked familiar. I was given a blood test (I am determined to “overcome” almost every fear I have while in Korea… that includes needles…) and selected a time on the weekend to volunteer. I will be helping take care of infants and toddlers, which I am excited about this opportunity.

After leaving ESWS, I wandered back to Yonsei. The campus is quite a bit larger than St. Thomas or at least it seems this way since I am not familiar with the university yet. I can’t wait to explore of the campus (and Seoul… and Korea in general) these next coming months. My language class will begin tomorrow. Well, I shall leave you with a swift goodbye since I should probably attempt to get some rest since I have find my class tomorrow morning. Goodbye for now!

No comments: