Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bangkok to Siem Reap

BANGKOK, Thailand:
My flight landed in Bangkok around 10:45 at night. After finding my purple duffle bag I waited for a taxi meter. I was picked up in a bright pink taxi, which I would later see hundreds of them identical to this one throughout the city. When I first entered my hostel on Sukhumvit, I was a little shocked by the bathroom situation, because the shower and toilet were in the same stall (I heard this is common); but this may have been because it was after midnight and I was ready to crash on any bed, mat, floor, whatever was clean. But I warmed up the hostel, which was actually quite clean (compared to the parts of the city that I saw), the employees were helpful and I had some nice people from the UK and Malaysia in my room.

The Chatuchak Weekend Market, JJ Mall (ducked inside the airconditioned indoor market), and streets of venders was quite an experience. I walked through the Chatuchak Park (dodging sprinkles) and weaved my way around these areas for the day. All of the shops looked the same, so it was difficult to know which opening I was entering and departing. I walked through a street full of fish (for pets or eating... I have no idea), bought a gotu kola drink (the herb had an interesting taste...in liquid form), and bargained with the venders (who tried to rip me off since they knew I was a "tourist." They'd look me up and down and say, "350 baht" when I heard them offer someone else less). Throughout Bangkok, it was also interesting to see all the Caucasian men with Thai women roaming the markets, but no Thai men with American, etc women. Traffic in Bangkok is quite hectic in comparison to Hong Kong. There is not order to the chaos, but it worked so no matter. I had an interesting time finding the correct bus to the airport, dashing over the bridge to cross the street. People kept giving me conflicting information, but fortunately I chased after a white bus that said "airport" and the driver actually pulled over. Usually, drivers give passengers literally a couple seconds to leap onto the bus and drive off.

I arrived at the airport on quite early so I wouldn't have to lug my bags around the city. When I was checking my bags the Bangkok Airlines lady asked me if I wished to catch an earlier flight. Well, I gladly agreed and frantically tried to rearrange out my tuk tuk pick up time in Siem Reap. I made the call twice because I kept running out of bahts (Thai currency) in coin form, but I made it to my plane with 3 minutes to spare! If you travel to Bangkok, remember to provide yourself with enough time to get through customs.

SIEM REAP, Cambodia:
The Siem Reap airport's exterior had quite a different look because the roofing resembled a temple. Upon entering the airport, I joined the mob of people applying for a Cambodian visa. Listening to them call out our names was quite entertaining because they would pause in the middle of reciting each name. You might not find this as amusing as I did, but if you visit Cambodia you'll know what I mean. I scanned the crowd of drivers holding up piece of paper with the name(s) of their passenger(s). When I found my tuk tuk driver (kind of a open-aired "taxi" given its name from the sound of its engine), the other drivers began repeating my name over and over again. I found this comical.

Friends from Siem Reap Hostel--->
I basically fell in love with Siem Reap upon climbing onto my first tuk tuk and viewing the unique place. Driving is crazy here as well, but I wouldn't say "hectic" like Bangkok. I rather enjoy weaving around the tuk tuks and motorbikes (which are everywhere...so if you need a mode of transportation there will be several eager drivers). There doesn't appear to be any age or license requirement (or at least not one that is inforced) because I saw young boys and girls zooming down the streets. I caught a motobike ride from a guy who was definitely younger than me. Oh, and pretty sure I am spoiled by my great hostel find (especially given the cheap amount I have to pay). Thank you hostelworld.com! It's located right by the Old Market and other locations are easily accessible. If (or rather "when") I return to Cambodia I wouldn't mind staying here again. The employees and other overseas people have been great. I came across my first person from the states (haven't met anyone from there until now).

The first night I met up with a guy from Japan (Taka) who I had sat next to on the flight from Bangkok. Khumer food is pretty tasty. He asked if I wanted to explore Angkor the next day (had already found a driver) so I agreed. I have been dying to see Angkor Wat and still trying to discern whether I truly did see the magnificent world destination. The architecture, wall carvings, tree growth and so on were quite unique to each temple. Beginning in the morning, Taka and I visited Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Ta Phrom and Phrom Bakheng for sunset. Although all the structures were fascinating, my favorite was Angkor Phrom (had 5 gates) including the victory gate which leads to the Royal Palace and the Banyon. Nonetheless, I will not bore you with endless descriptions, because I was truly mesmerized by the wondrous destination. Not even my pictures will do this world wonder justice.

Early the next morning I caught a boat to see Chong Kneas, which is one of the famous floating villages. The building were constructed on stilts, literally floating above the water (even with the low water level). What a way of life. A couple from Oregon (one of the few people I met from the US) and a guy from France (who is working in China) were also blown away by this world that is so foreign to the states and Europe. People conduct their everyday life on these floating structures. We saw children in their school uniforms and paddling to our boats in buckets. They too were asking visitors to purchase various items including fruit and bracelets. After docking on shore, we asked a driver to stop at a place called the Angkor Artisans. This is an excellent organization that helps train and build to the skill sets of individuals, enabling them to have a more promising future. We watched many of the men and women paint and carve the various Buddha and ganesh. Their work and talent was captivating.

No comments: